[ros-general] Documenst and settings

Jasper van de Gronde th.v.d.gronde at hccnet.nl
Fri Apr 16 20:43:22 UTC 2004

Novikov Semyon <tappak> wrote:
> Lorenzo wrote:
> I came in project from Unix and i thing we shouldn't reject all unix
> solutions.
> But i thing it is good idea allowing user change this stuff in setup
> process.
>
> NT architecture is multiuser. Unix is parent of multiuser concept.
> And i thing each user should have own "home" defended from other users.
> May be my opinion is too "unix". It is not important how to name home
> directory but multiuser concept is really important IMHO.

Perhaps I don't understand you, but NT (at least 2000 and XP) user
exactly that. Suppose you have the users Alice and Bob under Windows you
would have the following directory structure under Documents and Settings:
Documents and Settings
   Alice
     Application Data
     My Documents
     Temp, etc.
   All Users
     Application Data
     My Documents
     Temp, etc.
   Bob
     Application Data
     My Documents
     Temp, etc.

There are also some other directories (like Default User and
LocalService), but I don't know what their function is.

Under a Unix-like system this would be something like (supposing Bob is
the administrator):
etc (more or less instead of the All Users directory)
home
   Alice
root (instead of Bob, as Bob was the administrator)

So they are very similar, with my personal preference going to the
Windows method as I find it a bit more structured and consistent.