[ros-general] Installing ReactOS with other OSes

Rakhesh Sasidharan lists at rakhesh.com
Fri Aug 6 15:48:09 UTC 2004

Hi all,

In continuation to my previous post, decided to go ahead and experiment.

I already have a primary partition on my first disk. That hosts Win 98
and is called C:. I have another primary partition on my second disk.
That hosts FreeDOS and is called D:. And finally, I made a new primary
partition (since ReactOS can't handle more than one primary partition on
a disk) on my third disk ... called F:. Apart from these, I also have
Win XP, whose bootsector code is installed on C:.

My understanding from the installation instructions is that if ReactOS
does not find any known OSes on the active partition, it will install
its own bootloader etc. So I made F: (the ReactOS partition) active, and
then went ahead with the installation process. That was a breeze
(particularly glad that the process showed me a list of all the
partitions in my system, as that made it easier for me to figure that
the ReactOS partition is called F: (and not G: as Win XP had christened
it)) ... and finally it went ahead and installed the bootloader code.
But unlike what I expected, it didn't install the code on F:, rather it
installed itself as a part of the XP bootmanager entries (i.e. it made
the file bootsect.ros and added an entry to boot.ini) on C:.

Is this the intended way for things to work? I would have assumed since
F: is active, ReactOS will install its bootloader code there. Or am I
missing something in the whole picture?

One more question, suppose I dont want to boot into ReactOS via the XP
bootloader code  -- say I decide to remove XP one fine day -- how can I
setup things so that ReactOS's code is written onto its partition
itself? I use GRUB for loading my OSes, so if there's some way I can
write the ReactOS loader to its respective partition, I can use GRUB to
chainload from there. Can I simply write the bootsect.ros file onto F:
using a command like 'dd' or something? I tried going to the recovery
console in the hope that it might have some of the NT commands like
"fixboot" etc, but I find that the console has not yet been implemented.
Any suggestions/ alternate commands please?

Thanks,
Rakhesh