[ros-general] RE: [ros-dev] Must Read!!!! Msi.dll andBison Alert!!!!

Casper Hornstrup chorns at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Dec 1 16:39:13 UTC 2004

Because you would add 5 minutes or so to the time your average
new developer will need to spend in order to set up an environment.
That is 5 minutes extra *just* because he needs to generate two files
out of approx. 7900 (or 0,025%). It is even likely he will never need
to change these himself. If we have 100 new developers, they need to
spend an additional 8 hours total. For an average Danish IT consulting
company that is $1200 of lost revenue spent on virtually nothing.

If you want to see extreme versions of this problem, go see how
much time you need to spend on setting up an environment in order
to build eg. OpenOffice, Mono or GCC.

I'm not religious about not adding more tool dependencies, but
it must be justified. So if there is a tool that will give an
overall higher productivity then I might be for it. I am however
religious about not requiring non-free tools to develop ReactOS.

Casper