[ros-general] ReactOS newbee

Casper Hornstrup chorns at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Dec 12 10:49:34 UTC 2004

It depends. Are you thinking of virusses that exploit flaws in
the software or virusses that use the Windows APIs like
applications are supposed to? If the former, ReactOS is likely to
not have the same vulnerbilities as Windows. ReactOS has different
vulnerbilities though. If the latter, then yes. Virusses play by
the same rules as other applications. If you run all your
applications under a privileged account then you are more vulnerable
than if you use an account with the minimum privileges needed. This
rule applies no matter which OS you use.

> Is it a heavy OS like windows ... you are stuck with the GUI
> etc, and can't do much trimming ..
> eg I use linux for my servers, without a gui to save on resources ....

It is a 13MB CD. I would call that a light OS.

On a side note, I don't believe you save that many resources by
removing the GUI. Most modern operating systems (ReactOS and Linux
included) has virtual memory support so when eg. the GUI isn't used,
most of the contents of the physical memory used by the GUI will be
written to disk and the physical memory is freed for other purposes.