[ros-general] ReactOS newbee

flamer greg at linuxpro.co.za
Sun Dec 12 11:44:09 UTC 2004

Casper Hornstrup wrote:

> [...]
true ... :-)

>>Is it a heavy OS like windows ... you are stuck with the GUI
>>etc, and can't do much trimming ..
>>eg I use linux for my servers, without a gui to save on resources ....
>>

>It is a 13MB CD. I would call that a light OS.
>
>On a side note, I don't believe you save that many resources by
>removing the GUI. Most modern operating systems (ReactOS and Linux
>included) has virtual memory support so when eg. the GUI isn't used,
>most of the contents of the physical memory used by the GUI will be
>written to disk and the physical memory is freed for other purposes.

personaly if feel  the process for moving data data between ram + swop
space should be minimised , as it's waisted perfomance, but I'm no guru :-)

I think ReactOS is a good option for people who cant get past the
windows mindset, I'm going too have a good look at it.

If you need a tester, I'm game :-)

I know it's not linux but it's opensource so if you have info i can post
on my site  let me know  ..