[ros-general] Browsers

David Dunn etherealfreeze at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 5 03:31:31 UTC 2004

I went through the forum and heard a lot of things about which browser
(mostly mozilla) should be used as the default for ROS.

Just my idea, but I think that we should use a modified version of the
Mozilla ActiveX control instead with a dummy browser placed on top.
There are 3 reasons why I think that this (even though it may be more
difficult) is probably the best choice in the long run.

-Programs that require IE will instead be redirected to use Mozilla's
rendering engine instead
-The dummy browser could store it's bookmarks in a similar manner to the
way IE does adding to the startbutton/bookmarks compatibility
-Still promotes OSS

Firebird and Mozilla are great and all, but if there isn't compatability
with the myriads of programs that want to call IE for some reason or
another ROS will be slower to be adopted