[ros-general] Browsers

Nate DeSimone desimn at rpi.edu
Thu Feb 5 18:15:16 UTC 2004

Codeweavers only supports Internet Explorer versions that come with
Office, however they don't support installing it by itself, which I do
think is due to licensing issues.  I have actually looked at the IE EULA
recently and they still claim that you may only use IE with a valid copy
of Windows.  So even if the user installed IE via Office, I think its
definitely still in the gray area as far a legality goes, so when your
talking about a project like ReactOS where M$ will sue it for whatever
they can, we should cover our ass as much as we can. (Well as soon as
name ReactOS actually reaches a guy in upper management at M$ they will
start suing anyway.)  Thus, we need to replace the browser (just like we
have to replace the DLLs and not simply copy M$ DLLs into our
distribution.)  That is why I recommended that we take Firebird and
modify it so that it will accept ActiveX controls and have a COM
interface, that way we will maintain compatibility and still be legal,
and Firebird is better than IE anyway, and its going to be "the next
mozilla" so it will save time later by just starting with it.