[ros-general] Browsers

Mark Grosberg mark at nolab.conman.org
Fri Feb 6 05:21:28 UTC 2004

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Vizzini wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 17:15, Ian McLean wrote:
> > I thought IE was based on NCSA Mosaic ?  Or is Mozilla based on this also ?

Actually, I think IE is based on the Spyglass browser, which is probably
only a distant cousin at this point to Mosaic.

BTW: Has anybody considered that the BSD TCP stack may be easier to port
to ReactOS? I work with another open-source operating system called eCos,
and it uses the BSD networking stack but its design is not like a
traditional UNIX kernel.

Perhaps this might be an easier path. I think the BSD stacks were designed
to be ported more easily than the Linux one. I guess the things we would
need are:

  * TDI "glue"
  * NDIS "glue"
  * A wrapper for a memory pool to allow the mbuf allocator to run.
    (we could just tie the mbuf allocator to the non-paged pool?)

Another cool thing would be to port OpenPF from the OpenBSD project to
ReactOS. Its an excellent packet filter and designed to work with the
OpenBSD stack as well.

But I really do think that ReactOS needs to get a working TCP stack before
people worry too much about what browser to use.

L8r,
Mark G.