[ros-general] Ok guys...

Gunnar André Dalsnes hardon at online.no
Sun Feb 15 13:12:11 UTC 2004

> 1)  Too many 'ways' to browse a users computer.

What's the Shell button for BTW? I don't understand it's purpose as it
seem to do the same as the Explorer button?

> and by all means winefile
> and explorer should be seperate applications

As i see it, the ros file-explorer is currently a winfile clone. I would
rather have a ros file-explorer that is similar to NT4/Win2000 and have
the (more advanced and full featured) winfile-like file-explorer as a
separate app. So i guess i agree?

> Registry browser, NT Object File System or whatever the hell it's
called

In any case, it would be easy to provide this functionality in
separate/optional shell namespace extension contained in
explorer.exe/shell32.dll image (or maybe this is how it works
allready?).

> The Interface
> shouldn't be MDI, as microsoft's is not.

I agree.

> 2)  The toolbar has nothing useful.  The windows explorer toolbar has
> back, forward, and up buttons for example, to browse the users
> computer.  Our explorer has none of these.

Yeah, we need that.

> 3)  The web support needs to go.  I don't know what all was done, but
> web support causes alot of potential vulnerabilities.  Just look at
> microsoft's windows, and even IF it didn't, loading IE/mozilla every
> time explorer starts is a WASTE.

I agree. I loved the old NT4 explorer. Nothing fancy but does what it's
supposed to and super fast.

> Solution:  I really think we should clone the Windows NT 4.0
> explorer,
> with quicklaunch, but nothing more.

Yes!

> Make everything else addins or
> compiletime options.

I prefer addins contained in the explorer.exe/shell32.dll/etc. image. I
HATE compiletime options! Compiletime options is what ros/windows is NOT
about!

> The interface really should be more
> similar to the
> windows version of explorer, with nothing new to confuse users, etc.
> This will make explorer less buggy and faster, it will also
> consume less
> RAM.

I agree.

-Gunnar