[ros-general] Ok guys...

Rex Jolliff rex at osexperts.com
Sun Feb 15 17:23:13 UTC 2004

At 12:00 PM 2/15/2004 -0500, you wrote:

>On Sun, 15 Feb 2004, Martin Fuchs wrote:
>
> > last week ;-) But that's the only point.
> > To attract more users we have to present them more features/functionality/
> > usability than Microsoft.
>
>Actually, I have to speak up and disagree with this. One of the main
>reasons I would love to move to ReactOS is to get rid of all that stuff.

We need to appeal to a wide audience, who all have different preferences on how
to do common tasks.  I think we need to at least attempt to accomodate them
all.

> > Let's use preprocessor directives (e.g. #ifndef _LEAN_EXPLORER) to disable
> > extended functionality in explorer. This way we can maintain one codebase
> > to create
>
>Ick. In my experience preprocessor directives result in code that falls
>apart.

It's funny, I used to think MS tried too hard to put every feature under
the sun in
their OS,  but after reading discussions like this, I realize the conundrum
they were
in.

I suggest we build several explorers, the explorer shell should have the
SDI approach
with an optional directroy tree pane, a winfile style shell with an MDI
interface, and
a filezilla shell with a tab interface.  Then we let the users decide which
shell they like.