[ros-general] Translators ARE needed / Plan of work fortranslation

James Pritchard jnpritchard at btopenworld.com
Tue Feb 17 14:56:35 UTC 2004

M.Taguchi wrote:

>"Aleksey Bragin" <aleksey at studiocerebral.com> wrote:
>

>>Translation can be roughly divided into 3 parts:
>>1. www.reactos.com website, it should become multilanguage
>>2. ReactOS Documentation (it's part of www.reactos.com website, but it goes
>>into another category)
>>3. ReactOS itself (all text, strings, dialogs, applications, etc). It should
>>be discussed and people should agree on the prefereable way to do this.
>>

>First, why don't you use ROS-wiki to list people who are willing to
>translate? It supports the table-layout and much smart than posting the
>HTML mails when there're changes, IMHO.

Good idea, this is what project wiki's are there for.

<big snip>

> So I propose the above(about
>the ROS iself):
>why don't you put a "bug/translation report" button next to the
>minimize/maximize button on all dialogs/windows shown on ROS for a
>"tester edition" or something? I'm not sure but I think some Unix'
>window manager have this feature to have more feedbacks. On production
>release, there'll be many users who doesn't like the strange buttons
>are shown on their windows, so it'd be stripped away from the
>production release(the future release for practical use, I mean).
>* Clicking the button'll show the dialog to report bug/translation
>feedback which has a form consisted of the user's name and comment box
>to fill in.
>* Fill in the forms and click "feedback" to send the app-path, window
>name, and the comments to the server.
>/* Note: we should apply the forms which are completely blank, because
>the translation matters are mostly caused by lacking of translators'
>awareness, because there're massive amount of strings/documents. The
>numbers of fully-blanked forms'll be great help for translators to
>indicate the problems. It doesn't tell nothing, but DOES tell there're
>odd points on the dialogs/windows. */
>* Then translators view the feedbacks and decide what to do.
>
>I think most of you should've noticed; this "feature" requires at least
>tweak on dialog API and support for TCP/IP, but it's worth implementing
>(tho I can't take the implementation roll).

I like this idea, it will encourage testers/users to get involved with
reporting problems.
But as is said, we need a working TCP/IP networking system before it
will work.
I think pressing the button could do 1 of 2 things. Either start a web
browser window that loads bugzilla or our own problem tracker; or it
launches a little app that asks a few questions. It would be passed the
calling apps name and version etc when it is executed. The all the app
needs is space for the reporters name, email and a box for a description
of the problem. The most important thing is to keep it simple.

<snip>

As for how the translations are done. There should definatly be a stage
of review/evaluation in my opinion.
So the translators submit translations to a coordinator for each
language that checks them before passing them onto Aleksey for
committing to CVS.

James