[ros-general] why folks

ROS@Q-collective.org ROS at q-collective.org
Tue Feb 17 15:54:30 UTC 2004

Enrico Weigelt wrote:

>>>And why implement _Windows_ and not a good system which allows running old
>>>windows applications ?
>>>

>>ReactOS *is* meant as "a good system which allows running old windows
>>applications"
>>

>Perhaps it was a misunderstanding. I meant a "good operating system" which
>can be used for many tasks, not just running windows applications.
>So this would end up in a windows subsystem.
>
>Well, let me ask the question in a diffrent way:
>
>What are the existing kernels/operating systems are missing that you
>require a completely new kernel. Writing a good operating system from scratch
>is a very huge job - i.e. linux has taken many years to come to the point
>where it is.

You can also see this in a different way: We are working together with
the Wine project. This project is already quite old and it's still in
it's alpha phase, so developments aren't really going hard...
This project has a good potential of becoming a very fast developing
project since there are a lot of windows developers outthere.
Now the situation is that the ReactOS project hugely consumes of the
knowledge of the Wine project, but in a year or so the situation could
have changed in the other way around! Then it is time to finally build a
_good_ windows subsystem for linux!
 From my point of view the ReactOS project is no more then a step
between the situation now and having a good Windows subsystem in Linux.
Hope that that cleared something.

Emil