[ros-general] why folks (Fw: Kernel Support For Case-Insensitive Filenames)

Martin Fuchs martin-fuchs at gmx.net
Wed Feb 18 07:42:16 UTC 2004

> On 17.02.2004 13:46:43 Robert Shearman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There is an interesting thread on the linux-kernel mailing list about
> the trying to add support for efficient case-insensitive lookups. Here's
> a link to the thread if anyone wants to read about it or possibly chip
> in :)
> http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0402.2/0273.html

They are now debatting about how to efficiently implement case insenitive filenames and how to handle problems with different character encodings in file/path names on the Linux kernel mailing list.
Linus is at the position to implement this by introducing some work around-like new system calls. I think it isn't possible to do this correctly without handling any file names in the kernel using Unicode. (be it UTF-8, UTF-16 or the four byte encoding used in unix environments commonly)

NTFS has Unicode support since ages!
I think this shows one main point, why NT has been called "New Technology".

So I am waiting for a main feature announcement for Linux version [23]\.[0-9]\.[0-9\.]+ like "full Unicode support in kernel".  :-)

Regards,

  Martin