[ros-general] why folks

Enrico Weigelt weigelt at metux.de
Wed Feb 18 19:57:10 UTC 2004

* Patrick Mauritz <oxygene at studentenbude.ath.cx> [2004-02-17 20:45:49 +0100]:

<snip>
> > BTW the architecture of the Linux kernel is newer than 1980, although
> > it provides a unix-style userland vm. I dont see whats wrong with
> > this, yet - but I'd like to hear your arguments.
> people tend to joke about the change in WinNT4 where parts of the graphic
> driver were moved to kernelspace and point to the "superior" design of linux.

If you dont like it, why not writing something better for the linux kernel ?

> similar reasons apply to most other parts of the linux kernel: they're either
> _inferior_ to the WinNT design (maybe not in implementation but that's one of
> the things ReactOS must do different, by design) or plain incompatible. and
> before you start with "how about improving linux": with a strong "benevolent
> dictator" it might be hard to get architectural improvements into linux, look
> for project UDI on lkml as reference what happens to people suggesting
> this...
Why not a new kernel branche / inofficial patches ?
If the code is good, they'll someday take it into the official distro.

Many good kernel projects were developed outside of the main tree for a
very long time, i.e. isdn4linux, capi4linux, alsa, ...

> also, reactos started with "real code" in 1997 or 1998 - what was the state of
> linux back then?
Okay.

<snip>
> there are a lot of things that went pretty good with linux, but using a
> remotely modern design (where are personalities, when you need them?) and
personalities ?

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT services

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact at metux.de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481