[ros-general] why folks

Patrick Mauritz oxygene at studentenbude.ath.cx
Wed Feb 18 20:51:59 UTC 2004

Am Mittwoch, 18. Februar 2004 21:14 schrieb Ricardo Ramalho:
> Quite truthfull comments. No doubts. Just don't make them to Linux, make
> those comments about *nix in general. *nix wasn't made for graphics. X was
unix in general has proper solutions to this problem: X with proper hardware
abstraction in kernel. that just won't work right on x86 without strong
support by hardware vendors .

> an add-on. People are trying to put a client/server architecture working
> fast. That needs hacking. But... Isn't Windows hacked in the same way? It
the client/server part of X11 is actually solved pretty nice and clean. it's
the driver side (which is entirely unrelated to the client/server part) which
is a mess. driver side, as in "kernel related".
this discussion started out with "why not use linux as base of reactos" (moved
to some past form later-on), so of course, I'll only argue about kernel
issues.

> surely does not have these problems! It has some others.
>
> I would say both systems are *equivalent* in this matter...
do they have a different set of problems or are they equivalent? I'm confused
now.

> Inferior in design? LOL! I will *not* comment that part...
lack of arguments?

> The binary driver thing "problem" is one and one only. The whole system is
> open. Why should it be closed for drivers? Those drivers would use code
> written with the hard work of others... It's not fair. Why shouldn't they
> give the driver's code?
because they have contractual obligations that prevent them from doing it?

see, nvidia looks for me like a company that bought most of its "intellectual
property" and thus _can't_ release specs or drivers under a half-way free
license, even if they wanted (and there are claims that some of their
technicians really, really want to do that) - just as an example.

still, their driver hugely boosts linux on the market, including the
contributions of other people - why make it harder for them than necessary?

I'm _not_ talking about copying code verbatim, just about some reliable long
term API/ABI contracts for drivers.

> You seem to hate Linux with all your nerves. You grow up. No system is
look at the headers of my mails: mailer on kde/linux, mail server on netbsd,
smarthost on linux - just to get the facts straight, I have _no_ win32
installation here because I find the user accessible side of win32
inconvenient (unlike the linux GUIs), while I can ignore the kernel
weaknesses of linux as I don't need to do kernel hacking every day.

> perfect! Some are better on some respects... Some are better on others. We
> should all learn with what others do.
linux is good on methodology (which leads to a solid implementation), so
ReactOS roughly models it. fine.
WinNT is good when employing a pretty solid, half-way modern design, so
ReactOS models it, closely. also, fine.

so ReactOS learned, and I'm happy (even if I'm not a developer for ROS, due to
other priorities). In the end, ROS is able to get a good development method,
a solid implementation based on a working, reliable design - isn't that the
goal?

> Some people here are immensely *arrogant*! That's NOT good for the project.
> Regardless of the quality of their work.
I gather that in your opinion Linux Fanboyism is not arrogant, yes? _that_ is
NOT good for the deployment of the project as it make linux people look like
zealots instead of reasonable people (which most of them are, but you now -
guilty by association etc)

patrick mauritz

(if any of you consider this subtread offtopic, tell me off-list and I'll shut
up)