[ros-general] why folks

Enrico Weigelt weigelt at metux.de
Wed Feb 18 21:14:40 UTC 2004

* Patrick Mauritz <oxygene at studentenbude.ath.cx> [2004-02-18 21:51:59 +0100]:

<snip>
> I'm _not_ talking about copying code verbatim, just about some reliable long
> term API/ABI contracts for drivers.
Why not ?
This could be done quite easily on top of the current architecture.
A small opensource stub could be used to load/link the drivers and dispatch
some api calls which are probably not binary compatible. The ABI-loader
could be build so that it links those functions which match to the current
kernel directly and put small stubs between those which dont.
(i.e. a module i386-smp could directly match into a kernel built for
i386-smp, but i686-nosmp perhaps wouldnt match and so has to be wrapped)

<snip>
> WinNT is good when employing a pretty solid, half-way modern design, so
> ReactOS models it, closely. also, fine.
What exactly on winnt do you consider "modern design" ?

cu
 Enrico Weigelt    ==   metux IT services

  fax:       +49 36207 519932         email:     contact at metux.de
  cellphone: +49 174 7066481