[ros-general] great project / suggestions

Nate DeSimone desimn at rpi.edu
Sat Feb 21 16:51:52 UTC 2004

>Since I do not understand C (in fact I hate c/cpp) some very odd
>suggestions are, to use very current technologies like
>- XML
>- a progamming language that is cool (probably no one exists yet)

So what do you suggest we program in other than C? XML?!  XML is used to
transfer land store data, and its not compiled, its interpreted.  Its
not something you would even write a small app using since its not for
programming.  C and C++ may have a little more of a learning curve than
Javascript, but if you have a strong command for the language and on how
to write fast algorithms then it is definitely for best friend.  There
really is no alternative than C when you are writing a new kernel
(except perhaps assembly, but I couldn't imaging trying to write a whole
modern kernel in ASM, it would be near impossible to write that code.)
Moreover we work very heavily with the WINE project and all their code
is C.  C++ and the Standard Library is a very current technology and
while its not a buzz word right now, it will remain the language of
choice for serious developers for a long time to come.  C, in its pure
form is starting to get a bit dated, but it reduces overhead and runs
faster than C++.