[ros-general] Ideas (by Paulo Correa Silva)

robert K. rob at koepferl.de
Sun Feb 22 22:37:07 UTC 2004

KJK::Hyperion wrote:
> At 01.47 22/02/2004, you wrote:
>
>> • Indian keymaps:
>
> [...]
>
> from what I've heard, Indian support is going to be a bitch. Unicode
> support for Indian is badly designed - or so I'm told - and not able to
> represent all Indian text. Operating systems where file names are binary
> strings (like most POSIX systems) aren't going to be affected by this.
> We, being Windows, will receive the equivalent of a full frontal impact
> with a semi truck. Either we'll make liberal use of the user-defined
> Unicode range (hoping not to tread over other uses of this range -
> Microsoft Interix, IIRC, uses characters in this range to represent
> characters that would be otherwise illegal in file names on Windows,
> like ":") or we'll be left behind

Explain me more about indian. Which charset is affected?  Hindi,
Devangali, unknown?
I know there're some scripts in the world which are context sensitive.
AFAIK they have one code point for each letter variation. So this should
be 'just' a problem of correct input mehtod editors....

What you tell us is that several code points are missing :-?
AFAIK UCS-2 / BMP (basic multilingual plane) is rather compleete. There
are however very rare or died out scripts missing like Keilscript.

So what's exactlY?