[ros-general] unacceptable behavior in the forums--we may need a forum moderator

Mark IJbema mark at ijbema.xs4all.nl
Mon Feb 23 07:43:09 UTC 2004

On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 10:41:23PM -0800, Wierd Wierd wrote:
> I was cruising the forums a little bit ago, and came
> across some rather unpleasant postings by some of our
> users.  It would be in our best interests to clean
> them up promptly, as their disrespect to people with
> honest questions reflects poorly on our developers,
> and the project as a whole.
>
> There may be more, but I found the derogatory postings
> in the 'Please...' thread, and the "Blue screen of
> death" thread.
>
> I hope this is an isolated incident, but if it keeps
> up, we may have to have a dedicated forum moderator to
> keep things civil in there.  Some people just dont
> know how to be nice to each other.

Then you'll get endless debates over where moderators should draw the
line. Personally i don't like censorship, and i think only exceptionally
disrupting postings (like the one concerning Betov, and the one which
links to the source code) should be removed. It might however be better
if we'd require a login...

Mark