[ros-general] filesystems / links / file types

ea at iol.it ea at iol.it
Fri Feb 27 16:08:21 UTC 2004

---------- Initial Header -----------

>From      : ros-general-bounces at reactos.com
To          : ros-general at reactos.com
Cc          :
Date      : Fri, 27 Feb 2004 13:05:33 +0100
Subject : [ros-general] filesystems / links / file types

> hi,
>
> Which filesystems will reactOS support?
> The current version just understands FAT, somewhere I read you plan NTFS.
>
> but, why?

Supporting is not a "why" question, but a "what" question.

> wouldn't it be much better to use ext2/ext3 or similar?

There are GPL'd drivers for ext2/3 on the net ("what").

> the links...
> one serious drawback of windows is the lack of "real" links.

I used hard links since NT 4.0. And symlinks since NT 5.0 (2000). You just need a NTFS logical volume and a pair of utilities MS does not distributes...

> ever tried to use links as if they were the real files?
> it simple does not work most of the times. this really is annoying.

These are probably *.lnk files, which are serialized references used internally by explorer.exe. Why should they work?

ea