[ros-general] filesystems / links / file types

Vizzini vizzini at plasmic.com
Fri Feb 27 17:34:05 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-27 at 12:22, robert K. wrote:

[only editing for technical content]

> as WinNT and WinXP also uses. At the time of writing there was still a
> problem known as the SEH-Problem which prevents ReactOS from using
> these drivers. But when the SEH-Problem is solved some time, ROS will
> be able to load even native NTFS-drivers.

Not really true; we need to do lots of work still.  It's on my plate, or
anyone else is welcome to it.

> Q: Can I help programming installable file system drivers?
> A: Yes, there's lots of work to do around IFS-drivers. It's however
> very hard to program. I like to say that programming dirvers is hard
> but programming file system dirvers is the king's discipline. If you
> are a real kernel hacker, come to our maling list and anounce
> yourself.

I am also happy to point you in the right direction.  There is much to
be done, as I said.

> Q: Can we use ext2/3 instead of poking around in NTFS
> A: Yes, it's up to you, which file system you want to use. For now
> however neither the ext2/3-IFS nor the our NTFS-IFS is ready to use
> for read and write. So there's still lots of work to do (especialy the
> SEH-Problem) and so the only option is the FAT-IFS.

Just to be precise: what SEH problem are you referring to?

> Q: Why do you not make use of the Linux-NTFS project's sources?
> A: These sources are rather ok, but as all NFTS implementations (but
> the one from MS) it lacks writing support. And there are still big
> areas wich are undocumented. We are working together with them or just
> using their code. In the moment ther's however not that priority for
> NTFS.

I don't think this is true any more; last I heard, there was an NTFS
implementation for Linux that could write.  Regardless, the big problems
here will revolve around 100% bug-compatibility with the MS code.

 -Vizzini