[ros-general] Splash Issue #1

Zach reactos at tong-web.com
Thu Nov 18 20:19:01 UTC 2004

Hi all,

KJK::Hyperion -  The reason that this format was chosen was because I
*had* do follow the format imposed by Kernel Traffic (their XML
format).  I have no idea how Zack Brown of Kernel Traffic parses his XML
into XHTML/HTML, so I did what I could.  At first I tried using CSS like
you mentioned, and also learned just as you did that it is impossible.
As you said, CSS doesnt like attributes, and IE dislikes those
attributes in CSS even more.  It was a disastor in IE.

So I started looking for other means to display this XML format (which I
have no control over) in a browser.  XSLT seemed the choice, though I
don't know much about it (nor do I do much CSS work either).  So the
result is as you see, apologies for those that have Opera.

Anyhow, there is an easy, simple fix for the problem.  XSL
transformations just need to take place at the server instead of the
client.  Unfortunately, my hosting doesn't give me root access to
install xsltproc, nor will they install it themselves.  This was one of
the issues I wanted to talk to the ReactOS web dev's about, since it
would make everyone's life a lot easier (getting XHTML over the line
instead of XML to be transformed).

And yes, it is supposed to be read from the browser.

Stefan Pfluger:  Thanks for the mistake.  As to RSS, that should not be
difficult.  Just create another XSL sheet to transform the XML into RSS
instead of XHTML (lots of acronyms in that sentence!).  I'll look into
doing it when I get some time.

Which brings up a point I was thinking about.  Kernel Traffic and WineHQ
publish weekly "issues".  I was going to do this, but it might not be
the best.  Instead of issues, I could just post continuous news items
"blog style".  Please let me know which you would prefer.

Thanks for all the feedback,
-Zach