Re: [ros-general] Website Design Voting

Klemens Friedl klemens_friedl at gmx.net
Tue Aug 9 22:23:22 UTC 2005

> Nathan Samson <nathansamson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> BTW: Is there any chance that the CMS will be skinable?? If this is
> the case we don't need to vote, we can implment them all.

Static pages:
All static pages are generated with the RosCMS generator. A skin support was
intended but this feature is not completly finished. Every skin need its own
folder with a copy of the static pages with different design.

RosCMS interface:
the interfaces are based on templates. it will not be a problem to add new
templates or skins for different usergroups.

But overall this is not a technical problem, only a decision.

Pro:
* different skins select able (combo box)

Con:
* more static pages (for each skin an extra version of the same page
(content) with a different skin, and language)

e.g.:

/en/*.htm
/de/*.htm
/fr/*.htm
/xhtml/en/*.html
/xhtml/de/*.html
/xhtml/fr/*.html

/skin2/en/*.htm
/skin2/de/*.htm
/skin2/fr/*.htm
/skin2/xhtml/en/*.html
/skin2/xhtml/de/*.html
/skin2/xhtml/fr/*.html

/skin3/en/*.htm
/skin3/de/*.htm
/skin3/fr/*.htm
/skin3/xhtml/en/*.html
/skin3/xhtml/de/*.html
/skin3/xhtml/fr/*.html

In my opinion, the skin support has no real advantage for static pages.
But I can imagine some benefit for different skins for sub-systems like
phpbb, mediawiki or the compatibility database (for different usergroups).

e.g.:
* normal user take the default style
* gamers prefer a more colorful skin
* older people like styles with a good contrast (black/white)
* etc.

> ...the case we don't need to vote ...
As I mentioned above, it is not a good idea to provide a skin support for
static pages. So we need one design. But maybe there will be some skins
available for sub-systems (see above).