[ros-general] Re: ReactOS UI Team - Concept, Plan, and: help wanted

Mikko Tikkanen mikko.tikkanen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 06:21:30 UTC 2005

Quick post before school.

2005/10/13, mf <mf at mufunyo.net>:
> Mikko Tikkanen wrote:
> > The school also has new advantages; since I'm studying UI/usability
> > design I could do some actual user testing, with live subjects. I
> > could also get artists involved as the schools also has art teaching.
>
> Be careful not to make ReactOS into some kind of guinea pig for
> eccentric design though. One of the most important goals for ReactOS,
> interface-wise, is not requiring any retraining for people switching
> from Windows.

Erm. As I've stated since the start of whole UI team conversation, I
would like to see ROS aim for classic window look (classic being XP's
classic theme) with few upgrades, like start menu. I've been designing
new way for configuring the OS but I still don't think I like it
enough...
Anyways, as soon as I get my computer table up I start writing some
proper design documents instead of just graphical tests. (Done those
at school) The cardboard - couch environment isn't very healty since I
have to hunch down to write anything...

> exchange. I don't know why you seem to avoid IRC, but mailing list seems
> alright with me as well. Seeing that you're as "in charge" of the look
> of explorer as you currently are, maybe it would be beneficial if you
> would join the UI Team yourself? Just a suggestion :).

Personally I would also like to see you joining the UI team, since the
explorer is a important part of GUI.

-mikko