[ros-general] Re: ReactOS UI Team - Concept, Plan, and: help wanted

Martin Fuchs fuchs.martin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 22:02:42 UTC 2005

On 14.10.2005 08:44:43 mf wrote:

> Be careful not to make ReactOS into some kind of guinea pig for
> eccentric design though. One of the most important goals for ReactOS,
> interface-wise, is not requiring any retraining for people switching
> from Windows.

Correct. Windows is such well-known, that a different completely user
interface would only distract most people.

[citates out of the initial post]
> So getting down to business. The UI team is recruiting two kinds of people.
 [...]
> The plan(tm) to kickstart the UI team is as follows:
> Our first goal will be to make the surface experience of ReactOS familiar.
> Surface in this context means the things a user will see during and after
> bootup. This mainly involves modifying explorer;

What exactly do you want to modify?
> to display a consistent and familiar start menu

OK - i started with inserting a few shortcuts into the start menu some days ago.
Sure, there are still missing subfolders and more entries...

> and to show a friendly explorer when My Computer or the Explore link
> is opened. This means making all the surface icons consistent (my task),

Aehm - what do you mean with "friendly"?  ;-)

> There is no plan past this first task, because I cannot predict how small or
> big the team is going to be, what feedback we are going to get, and how fast
> things will move.

As said before: You - the coordinator should make a plan, lead the discussion
about what has to be done, and then make a list of the working points.
Then any one can choose some of them, and design/implement them.
That's what I would like to see in the Wiki, Bugzilla. I think this is the best
way someone can pick up something, assign it to himself, and mark it
as at the end.

Regards,

    Martin