[ros-general] Re: ReactOS UI Team - Concept, Plan, and: help wanted

Mikko Tikkanen mikko.tikkanen at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 19:22:35 CEST 2005

2005/10/15, Martin Fuchs <fuchs.martin at gmail.com>:
> On 15.10.2005 01:18:24 Mikko Tikkanen wrote:
> > There is basic layout I designed a while ago, displaying the search menu &
> > http://www.tpu.fi/~a5mtikka/varasto/guidesign/search.jpg
>
> This looks quite good.
> I understand this as an proposal for the the ReactOS start menu layout
> with activated "XP like" mode. The "classic" mode would look like the
> current layout.
>
> You just copied the MS icons into your prototype.
> Shouldn't you better use our nice ROS icons?  :)
>
> > As the two column start menu seem to create quarrel I created kind of
> > a hybrid of those two. From top down (- {item name}: {things in the
> > submenu}):
> > - Username, Help button
> > - The list of recent applications used
> > - My Documents: Recent files, Browse my files
> > - My Computer: Browse my computer, Printers, Control panel
> > - Network: Recent, Browse network, My shares, Network settings
> > - Search: Search, Recent, Advanced
> > - Run: Run, Recent, Advanced...
> > - All programs
> > - Lock and Power off
>
> The "Lock" button would activate the screen saver, which may be configured
> to ask for a password? What about adding a "Logoff" button?
>
> Regards,
>
>     Martin

I copied the icons because they are quickly accessible. That mockup is
not intended to show 1:1 reflection about ROS UI as it was created
merely to show the constuction and functionality of the start menu.

As user security is a big issue nowdays, the lock button has higher
priority than logoff, user can find the logoff function from the
shutdown menu as well as the basic function is the same; you press
shutdown when you leave from the computer, no matter if you actually
shut it down or just log off.

-mikko