[ros-general] ROS on the $100 Laptop?

David Hinz post.center at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 19:36:55 UTC 2006

Tom Lee Mullins schrieb:
> Ivan Vodopiviz wrote:
>
>> Hi Tom,
>>
>> Since ROS is still in alpha stage, I don't think it's ready for such a
>> task yet. There are a lot of features not implemented yet in ROS, and
>> it needs a lot of debugging and testing.
>>
>> Cya!
>>

>> On 1/4/06, *Tom Lee Mullins* <tomleem at comcast.net
>> <mailto:tomleem at comcast.net>> wrote:
>>
>>     http://laptop.media.mit.edu/
>>     I sent them an e-mail about using ReactOS on their
>>     $100 laptop. It could run Win programs (probably
>>     more needed by students).
>>     laptop @ media . mit . edu
>>     Could ROS be a viable alternative to using Linux?
>>
> Since it is an MIT project ($100 laptop), one would think
> it would be a challenge for the computer science/programmers
> at the college to take the source code of ROS and make it
> more useful for such projects(?).

I just had a look at their website, and I think it is a good idea to ask
them, if they would like to improve ReactOS and use it for their
project. Don't forget, that the children that will use these laptops
won't need things like DirectX, soundcards and so on, so a ReactOS 0.5
will fulfill thier needs.
They need a slim and reliable OS, not something fat that does everything
Windows XP does.
And which OS could be used for this laptop? Windows is to big, linux is
big, but could be made smaller (a lot of work).
I don't know how these people think about us, but I think we could at
least ask them, it's worth a try.

Greets,

David Hinz