[ros-general] ReactOS case study

Roman Hoegg roman.hoegg at unisg.ch
Mon Mar 27 12:11:45 UTC 2006

Hello everybody!

My name is Roman Högg (RomanH) and I have occasionally posted to this
mailing list and the web site forum in the past for a variety of reasons.
(offering/asking for help, submitting the Swiss German keyboard layout,
etc.) I now contact you for something completely different.

Together with the Helsinki School of Economics, Luleå University of
Technology, Nokia and IBM Business Services, our institute (
http://www.mcm.unisg.ch ) is conducting a study called
"Collabora-tion4Innovation (C4I)". The study is funded by the European
Commission and is examining the im-pact of diversity within teams on
factors such as innovation, creativity and productivity. By diversity we
mean things like cultural diversity, different skills, different
educational backgrounds, etc.

In the first phase of the project we are currently conducting a number of
case studies from a variety of areas. The goal is to find the "state of
the art" and later define areas in which further research is needed (e.g.
organisational aspects such as process design, improving collaboration
technologies, etc.) Since ReactOS is - as far as I can see - developed by
a pretty diverse set of people (developers from different countries,
probably with different skills and non-developers/users/testers that try
to improve the software in whatever way they can) I wanted to ask whether
it would be possible to conduct a "Reac-tOS Case Study". I think it would
be nice to not only have companies in the case studies.  If you agree to
this idea, I would like to conduct interviews with 2-3 persons of you (in
English or German, most likely via phone). Each interview would last
between 45 minutes and 1,5h maximum. (or I could send the
questionnaire/interview guide in advance and we would only discuss the
more open questions over the phone). After the interviews I would condense
everything into a 3-4 page description of the project and the aspect of
diversity. You would then get that text and could tell me whether you
agree with it or whether I would have to change things. Nothing will be
published without your consent! Unfortunately I can't offer you any money
for the collaboration, but I think the study will give the project some
additional promotion and, if you want to, you may of course use my text
for documenta-tion purposes.

Please let me know what you think and thank you very much!!!

kind regards

Roman

Roman Högg
Research Assistant