[ros-general] First NT6+ application support in ReactOS

Walter Dnes waltdnes at waltdnes.org
Thu Jan 11 19:24:04 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 10:05:28AM +0100, Colin Finck wrote

> But interestingly, the build produced by the v141_xp toolchain also
> looks for these apiset DLLs. Therefore, it would be possible that an
> application expects a full NT6 system when finding them. Consequently,
> application compatibility could be compromised if we just dump all
> apiset DLLs into ReactOS, applications now expect NT6, but the OS
> continues to behave like NT5 by default.
>
> This is why I suggest detecting an NT6+ application in ntdll to have it
> auto-apply a shim that lets ReactOS behave like an NT6 OS. The apiset
> DLLs should only be available in this mode, but not for the NT5
> personality of ReactOS. Let's not import the apisets before the ntdll
> shim work is done in order to preserve our existing application
> compatibility.

  Question; is it possible to have manual control?  E.g. given "foo.exe"
at NT5 level, and "bar.exe" at NT6 level, the user sets up batch files
with commands like...

set NTLEVEL="5"
foo

...or...

set NTLEVEL="6"
bar

...and have the OS check the environmental variable and launch the
program with the appropriate dll sets.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes at waltdnes.org>