[ros-kernel] Wine integration

Casper Hornstrup chorns at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Dec 13 14:32:49 CET 2003

We have to make a choice very soon if we are going to 1) import the Wine
headers and tools (libunicode,wpp,wrc) (a 12MB patch unfortunately) and
import Wine DLLs or 2) submit patches to Wine to port the DLLs to w32api
and then import them one by one as they are ported. 1) will give us
something useful very quickly, but will also give us two sets of headers
for some time. 2) will mean lots of work (my guess is several man months
of work) and developers need to learn more about Wine developing than
with 1).

At this time, I consider the PR value of running applications like MS
office higher than not duplicating code. IMHO ReactOS needs good PR and
lots of it. So my vote is to go with 1) and integrate ReactOS and Wine
headers in smaller steps (wether that means making Wine DLLs compile
with w32api or making ReactOS compile with Wine headers).

What are your thoughs on this?

Casper