[ros-kernel] Setup stuff

Jeff Smith beta_guy at telus.net
Sun Nov 9 16:27:59 CET 2003

hi we were discussion the possiblitity of installing ReactOS without writing to the MBR, also we were discussing having the setup create a boot disk for ReactOS, I cannot read the boot disk from windows after I add the MBR. so I can't create an image, but I'll explain how I created the boot disk so if we are working on creating a boot disk from within ReactOS setup,  we can do it.

Copy Freeldr.sys, freeldr.ini, and bootsect.ros to A:\
copy
ansi.nls
oem.nls
casemap.nls
to A:\System32
Copy system to A:\System32\config
Copy
pci.sys
scsiport.sys
atapi.sys
class2.sys
disk.sys
vfatfs.sys
ndis.sys
to A:\System32\drivers
all the files in system32 can be found in your ReactOS install. the freeldr.sys freeldr.ini and bootsect.ros files can be found in C:\

to write to the booot sector I got a program called mkbt
http://www.nu2.nu/mkbt/

after that the only requirement that I know of is to have ReactOS installed.

my question is do we have the option to write to the MBR or not? I know it write to the MBR anyways, but I'm curious as to how that coming or if we are doing anyhthing about that.