[ros-kernel] device driver ??? Build and install

Vizzini vizzini at plasmic.com
Mon Nov 17 11:32:47 CET 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 10:21, Maneel g wrote:
> Hey
> i am novice to windows device drivers
> i have my ddk installed in my system
>  i even built my samples and got the sys files
> can anyone tell me how can i install , load and run the sample driver

Hi Maneel,

You can load your driver by editing the hivesys.inf file in
reactos/bootdata/.  Create an entry similar to the others there.  Your
driver should probably be placed in \reactos\system32\drivers.

Whether or not your driver will load depends on the availability of
certain kernel-mode exports.  I'd be interested to hear if you have any
trouble with getting the driver loaded.  Also, if it's a WDM driver, you
probably won't get any PnP/Power IRPs.  Perhaps Filip can comment on
that though, since he did some PnP work recently.

One other thing:  if you want to get symbols for use with debugging
ReactOS, you have to build with our build environment (i.e. mingw).
That involves porting the standard SOURCES file to a ReactOS Makefile
(should be pretty easy to do; look at the reactos/drivers/ directory for
samples.

HTH.

 -Vizzini