[ros-kernel] Freeldr issue

Eric Kohl ekohl at rz-online.de
Thu Oct 30 19:43:53 CET 2003

"Jeff Smith" <beta_guy at telus.net> wrote:

> that sounds great, I was wondering, why doesn't freeldr.sys get copied to
> the HD with the other files? I mean from the latest CVS installer I use on
> thier computer, it tried copying the freeldr.sys file at the end just as
it
> said something like hit enter to reboot. so when you hit enter, it tries
> copying the file and crashes, then we're lost, but I think your on to
> something with the order of things, if we do get reactOS to back up the
MBR,
> that might be a repair option we can implement in future build of ReactOS

FreeLoader and the required bootcode is installed _before_ you are asked to
press 'return' to reboot but the files will not be written to the HD if
something crashes before the file got flushed to the HD. That is the
disadvantage of using a file cache.

Btw, the MBR backup is a good idea but we will also need a method of
restoring the MBR.

Eric