[ros-kernel] Re: ReactOS article to be published in Linux Magazine

Steven Edwards steven_ed4153 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 4 20:13:51 CEST 2004

Hi,
Right I got what you are saying but ReactOS in its current state is
almost of zero use to rest of the FreeSoftware movement. The limited
exception to this is Captive NTFS. If the Linux users want to get
around the need of Linux device drivers the only option is going to be
to run CoLinux on top of ReactOS. Or to create some sort of
ReactOS+CoLinux hybrid. I really want to see this happen but I dont
feel there is much support in the ReactOS team for this while there are
a LOT or Linux people I have talked to that are very interested in
this.

Right now we have a limited set of people that are interest in using
ReactOS because they like Windows or Windows programs and drivers. This
gives us "N" users and developers that are interested in ReactOS. You
also have a large number of people that run Linux that just want
support for certain hardware configurations, this is "X" users. If we
as the ReactOS team can take the chance of this artical to extend a
olive branch to other Linux developers that may be interested in
creating a hybrid then that give us "X + N" people that could one day
use/develop on ReactOS or ReactOS+Linux.

You have got to think outside the box here. Just saying that ReactOS is
supposed to remove the need to rewrite the drivers is not the answer.
The vendors are going to keep writting for Microsoft till the end of
time with that mind set.

Thanks
Steven