[ros-kernel] Feature freeze

Mike Nordell tamlin at algonet.se
Thu Apr 8 01:37:49 CEST 2004

Hartmut Birr wrote:

> I've made a short qemu windows test. It is possible to compile qemu
> 0.5.3 for windows.
> The source needs some fixes. Currently the keyboard doesn't
> work properly.

That's not entirely correct. Read on...

> I had a look at the source. Qemu uses the native sdl key
> codes, which are different for windows and linux.

And here we catch the difference. If you run QEMU after

set SDL_VIDEODRIVER=windib

you get another behaviour. Please note that the name is misleading. This is
not only for video, it's also for input. Actually, it's the only way one can
debug SDL programs without going insane for waiting five seconds to get
keyboard and mouse back after even a singlestep. Every singlestep.

Without it, DInput is used. With it, plain WM_* is used.

Since I alwasy run with that env. var set, not only because it fixes kbd and
allow debugging, but because it actually seems to run display updates *much*
faster (probably due to less deadlocking and DX fighting the program for
CPU), I can testify it works good enough to use.

Personally I also think DDraw might be a "slight" overkill for something as
simple as this. I mean, it's not like it'd need a parallax scroll at 5000
fps, and I dubt anyone is planning to run Nature Suxx with good results in
ROS in QEMU under... :-) If making it more native, I believe plain GDI
output (such as Bochs) and input would suffice.

Filip: Could you please check your patch and kbd input behaviour with and
without that env. var?

/Mike