[ros-kernel] VMware driver installation utility

Mark IJbema mark at ijbema.xs4all.nl
Fri Apr 9 21:44:59 CEST 2004

On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 01:09:02PM -0500, Vizzini wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-04-09 at 11:58, Thomas Weidenmueller wrote:
> > To simplify the installation of the VMware SVGA driver, i've written a
> > little utility that can be started in (and after) the second stage setup
> > in reactos
>
> You should probably commit this to HEAD at least, so people can review
> the code more easily.
>
> > I thought it might be a nice addition to our next release (even though
> > we're already in feature freeze).
>
> This seems like it could be a big PR boost for us, as the thing just
> looks so much better with real VGA drivers.  I'm for it, as long as you
> commit it soon, for max testing time.  What does everyone else think?

I think the tool should be extended to support nVidia drivers as well,
as it's supported by ROS and many people have nVidia cards (excluding me
somehow). He said that it could be done. Also, maybe we could always let
this utility start in second stage setup and let people select either
vmware driver, nvidia driver, ROS vbe driver, or lastly ROS vga driver.
Especially the third option is interesting imho. (I think if this can be
done it could even justify postponing the release a bit).

Mark