[ros-kernel] ReactOS is not loading auto-start drivers anymore

Eric Kohl eric.kohl at t-online.de
Mon Apr 12 17:00:30 CEST 2004

"Filip Navara" <xnavara at volny.cz> wrote:

> Eric Kohl wrote:
>
> >Filip enabled the privilege check about two weeks ago. I guess it
happened
> >accidentially because the privilege checks are not ready for use yet.
That's
> >why I disabled them.
> >

> Yeah, that was accidently.
>
> >The easiest way to fix the bug is to disable the privilege check and
remove
> >the modifications to services.exe and advapi32.dll.
> >

> Why remove them? It already works now.

Yes, but the main issues is that LookupPrivilegeValue() is a hack that won't
work for services.exe when it is implemented correctly. This is because
LookupPrivilegeValue() uses RPC calls to retrieve information from
lsass.exe. There is no guarantee that lsass.exe and rpcss.exe are running
when services.exe loads the first driver. Thus, services.exe will not be
able to load drivers.

BTW, we really need to get RPC working because the service control calls in
advapi32.dll also use RPC to call into services.exe.

Regards,
Eric