[ros-kernel] CVS regressions and checkin system idea - Distributed Regression Testing

Steven Edwards steven_ed4153 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 14 16:58:33 CEST 2004

Hello All,
I have been thinking a little about the problems with CVS or any other
version control system if your patch compiles clean then it must also
not make a regression test fail. This is a great idea except for the
performance and time hit its going to take. If we implement a strict
testing system on the server side then we are going to need a freaking
large cluster to commit->build->test->merge and there is going to be a
real lag in development.

/me is thinking outside of the box here again but stay with me for a
sec.....

We really a system where the developer is forced to check the patch and
run the regression tests before merging changes. Does anyone think it
would be possible to do something over SSH+CVS or SSH+SVN were we have
a build daemon running on the client that forces you to
rebuild/reg-test before it will pass you a token allowing you to merge?

This sort of system would keep the load off the server/cluster and
force the developer to better test the code and they could find the
bugs and fix them faster. The load of the build/test/commit cycle needs
to be distributed and if we dont try and distribute that load to the
developers then we are going to need a freaking huge cluster to handle
commits as this project grows.

Thanks
Steven