[ros-kernel] CVS regressions and checkin system idea - Distributed Regression Testing

Steven Edwards steven_ed4153 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 14 18:25:35 CEST 2004

--- "KJK::Hyperion" <noog at libero.it> wrote:
> That's why Casper proposed to apply strict checks to the main trunk
> only.
> The other branches could get automated builds and tests on demand,
> with
> some sort of booking application on the build server. And anyway
> ReactOS
> can be built in less than ten minutes on common hardware, and
> installed,
> ran and tested in even less

Right so if most users have "common hardware" make them use it. And
check it. Now if they have a slow system I still think we need server
side testing but I would like to have the option to distribute the
load.

Really the build tool only needs to to 3 things
1. Prove its a valid user
2. Make sure we can build off of head with the merged changes
3. Make sure all regression tests are passed

> it isn't safe to put so much trust into the client. The only way to
> verify
> the build/test results sent by the client would be to run the build
> and
> tests on the server...

Well do you not trust our developers for forge a SSH key? I am saying
that we place the "proof" of passing the build/testing on the build
tool. If the developer has the hardware to build ReactOS in two minutes
then why not force them to use it and fix thier bugs?

I see it like this. The developer has two options

1. Either submit a diff to head and wait on the regression tests to
pass

2. Use this custom distributed (vaporware) build tool to
build/regression test and then the server can merge. If a valid token
is passed.

Users with less CPU power can still use Capser cluster for automatted
build and regression testing.

Thanks
Steven