[ros-kernel] Microsoft Give-Away

Waldo Alvarez Cañizares wac at lab.matcom.uh.cu
Wed Apr 21 19:39:24 CEST 2004

Hi:

>By the way, the GPL don't allow you to change the code and sell it in a
>binary-only way. So, it's actually a restriction. What I just tried to tell,
>if do you allow me to have a personal opinion, is that such kind of
>restriction is not necessarily a bad thing, in the GPL case it protects the
>work of the community that has developed the source code. I wrote that just
>because someone was angered with Microsoft for the restrictions of the EULA.

I was thinking that it could be convenient if ReactOS where licensed a little bit different to GPL.
 Something like a relaxed GPL. My point is that with GPL you can profit but it has the major flaw
that when you give away your code you are in fact helping competitors with the inversion you
did. I was thinking that something more relaxed like "Ok if you want you can close it  but only for a while".
Could call some companies to invest money in ReactOS. I mean profit with exclusive rights for a while but later
open the sources because I gave you mine so you could profit. That way ReactOS could be mantained by some
companies but they will be forced to open it up on regular basis. That time in my opinion should not be long (3 months - 2 years depending
on the magnitude of  the closed component)
because none of us wants old software right? Now to close some component of the system for a while
companies should pay something to the foundation (maybe to programmers of those components too). I mean like rent
a component. Of course some components should never be closed. And I think that also there should be the restriction that
if someone finds a BUG should provide a patch to the original codebase. I know that this could contain some flaws and sure
I think it should be discussed a lot before any actions. So... What do you thing guys?

Best Regards
Waldo Alvarez