[ros-kernel] Different Hardware Architectures

Jakob Eriksson jakov at vmlinux.org
Fri Apr 23 21:36:13 CEST 2004

Mike Nordell wrote:

>Anyone know if it's possible to cross-compile from any host CPU architecture
>to x86 Win32, or is the cross-compilation in that respect limited to x86
>hosts? Is it's not limited, than it seems almost all work has already been
>done.

AFAIK it works with any architecture.  I don't have my Macintosh Debian
online, or I could have
"apt-get install mingw".

>- Do the Power CPU's support a 32-bit mode too? I'm not suggesting this, but
>perhaps it could be a first step to make the port 32-bit?

Yes, the do.

>- Do the Power CPU's support endianness selection (on startup), or am I
>confusing them with MIPS?

Yes, they do.  That was used in marketing hype about how efficient PPC
was at emulating i386 code.

>- What Power CPU's are we really talking about here? The older 32-bit ones
>or the current 64-bit version(s) (970/G5's I believe)?

AFAIK newer ones should be very backwards compatible, you whoever crazy
enough to
do this project could always begin with 32-bit.

regards,
Jakob