[ros-kernel] Different Hardware Architectures

Michael Rich alphax86 at alltel.net
Fri Apr 23 16:30:56 CEST 2004

> >- What Power CPU's are we really talking about here? The
> older 32-bit
> >ones or the current 64-bit version(s) (970/G5's I believe)?
> >

> AFAIK newer ones should be very backwards compatible, you
> whoever crazy
> enough to
> do this project could always begin with 32-bit.

Actually everything I've read says that the G5/970 CPU has dropped the
feature that allowed it to run in either big or little endian mode.  This
was one of the reasons MS had so much trouble with getting VirtualPC working
on a G5.  The version that'll actually run on it still has not come out.

So I believe everything up to the G5 supported the feature, but for some
reason the G5 does not.

This page has some comments on this:

http://www.cookcomputing.com/blog/archives/000302.html

Laters,