[ros-kernel] Re: [ros-cvs] CVS Update: reactos

Mike Nordell tamlin at algonet.se
Sun Apr 25 22:33:43 CEST 2004

Hartmut Birr wrote:

> the pipes on the command line are different for windows and reactos.

<rhethoric/>That's no good, is it?

> Make creates a batch file which is execute by cmd. Cmd from windows
> creates a named pipe between gcc and depends.

Hold your horses. cmd.exe from Windows creates a _named_ pipe? I just
checked my cmd.exe from NT5, and I can not verify this. The only mention of
a pipes are the msvcrt functions _pipe and _popen. Combine this with the
referenced _dup, _dup2 and _get_osfhandle, and I'd say the way it uses it is
pretty obvious.

> Cmd from reactos starts first gcc and
> attaches a file to the standard output.

A _file_? Are pipes yet/still so dysfunctional that it's required to mimic
this Win9x way of filling disks and making DOS-programs sequential?

/Mike