[ros-kernel] Different Hardware Architectures

Waldo Alvarez Cañizares wac at lab.matcom.uh.cu
Tue Apr 27 21:05:17 CEST 2004

Hi Michael:

De: ros-kernel-bounces at reactos.com en nombre de Michael Rich
Enviado el: Mar 4/27/2004 1:45 p.m.
Para: 'ReactOS Kernel List'
Asunto: RE: [ros-kernel] Different Hardware Architectures

> Mark this words is a complete waste of time and you won't
> finish it in a short time. I think a port now will only delay
> the project, is simply out of time. And even more if I where
> to do a port I would do it for Alpha or MIPS where NT 4.0
> already runs, not to PPC. Or what about Itanium, seems that
> Itanium is going to be supported by MS for a while since
> WinXP runs there.

While I agree that its not a trivial task to port ROS, you have to start
somewhere, that's why this is such a great project, each time this topic has
been brought up, its always been discussed in positive tones (but also in
realistic ones).  If someone has the time, the energy and the patience (and
the desire) to port ROS, then more power to them, I'd be glad to offer my
help where I can.

Im not saying it shouldn´t be done but who cares actually 2 or 3 out of thousands (maybe more). Look there is Linux for PowerPC since long time ago. Wich is the one really used? the one who sells RedHat, x86 with binaries compiled for i386. Why? simply, applications, there are even open source applications (not few) that only run on x86. Add to that closed software developed mainly by small companies that simply do not find economically feasible to do a port of their software. And add too people that only thinks that a computer is those having an Intel CPU + Windows running on top of it, that when they upgrade do it for x86 and that pay for software that runs on their computer of course and that many are aware that lots of those people exist and choose to make money. See, and PPC is a better arch in many ways.

BTW, the NT4 does run on PPC, but never made it up to SP3 level before it
was dropped.  I have NT4 SP2/PPC stored locally on my system if anyone
happens to need it.

I wasn´t aware, well seems that was dropped quite a long time ago. I wonder why? Prbably wasn´t selling and was costing too much. Well I guess that then there are some PPC binaries Apps and drivers. Anyway then I´m sure that there are lots of more applications for Linux PPC than for NT PPC. Why do you think that Im still using Windows + Intel, do you thing I like the PC made up of patches over the ages and yes I think that it should be canged that Intel/Compaq/Dell/IBM/... should be pushed to make it simpler and make better PCs using modern technology, however I don´t think it is the way.

The clever choice: focus on finishing reactos and fix bugs so other developers join and then you can even count on me for the port, honestly you can put me on that list heh the PPC is easier to program in low level and I have an emulator+simulator around with full source code. Hint if you need to run those binaries I think it would be easier to port WINE to the PPC, even more, I think that it would be a better strategy (a 2 stage process) if you want ROS ported. Afterwards you will get a system that can run Windows PPC + Linux PPC and then if really needed you can port the rest. If  not needed you can abort it on the first stage. At the end you will get better results. Wine ported + ReactOS ported. Don´t you think? Remember also that regresion tests are not very mature and during the port you will be changing a lot of source code that runs ok and you will be potentially inserting new bugs. Yes this is quite true and even makes me think that probably could be harmfull for ROS if done now.

Concluding, If someone wants to spend the time ok I can only give reasons, you are free to waste YOUR time or whatever you want to but beleiveme is still a shame watch someone with a brain wasting itself doing unneeded things. Do you want to end up coding alone? Be clever and do it the clever way. I have not seen new developers coming in as it happened with Linux. Putting a high mark about 30 around, no more
That´s quite amazing, so little ppl and so far doing something more complex. When you read the Linux sources you can see the names of lots of developers. And remember. What is the whole idea about ReactOS when we have free systems like Linux, Hurd or *BSD?  The choice to have free open source compatible operating system, nothing else.

Best Regards
Waldo Alvarez

Personally I feel that if PowerPC is targeted, we should not fool with any
legacy bus system, only the more modern systems like Apple did when they
built Mac OSX.  I've mentioned it before, but we could target the Pegasos
PPC system and might could eventually bundle with the systems
(http://www.pegasosppc.com/).  The systems use modern components, so there
should not be anything exotic to have to support with them.  The G4 chips
they use still have the bi-endian feature in them also, so the OS could be
supported via that chip.

mike