[ros-kernel] Roadmap - 6 months after...

Filip Navara xnavara at volny.cz
Fri Apr 30 20:03:35 CEST 2004

Hi Mike!

Mike Nordell wrote:

>- Vertical cursor position jumps like crazy, especially when using
>completion (CUI mode). If this is due to cmd.exe or console bugs, I don't
>know.

All issues that I found should be fixed in the CVS. If you find some
that I omitted and know how to reproduce it, just tell me.

>- DIR still not putting spaces properly between filenames longer than 8
>chars. Unknown if this is cmd.exe, or console handler not handling TAB
>char's properly. Whichever it is, it's a problem that \t isn't emitting
>spaces when cursor_pos%8==0 I believe.

Fixed in CVS.

>- & not working. Error msg "unknown option &".

What should it do?

>- dir /w lists the "short" names (do I hear a "Micros~1" joke? :-) )

Fixed in CVS.

>- Command history not working like cmd.exe. Down-arrow seemingly treats the
>history-buffer as a circular buffer, whereas in NT it stops once you reach
>the last entry.

There's a #define WRAP_HISTORY in config.h. IIRC the wrapping is a NT4
behaviour. Should we change it?

"for %i in (*) do @echo %i" works for me even on Windows NT5.1!

>-
>This is getting boring. I think the subset displayed here is enough to keep
>anyone wanting to work on cmd.exe happy for at least a while.

Few more things to the list:
- Unimplemented Windows-compatible TAB completion. The Unix-like
completion is just not suitable for Windows because of the string
quoting ("C:\Program Files\").
- DIR /-C, DIR /D, DIR /O, DIR /Q, DIR /T, DIR /X
- And of course the things listed in "reactos/subsys/system/cmd/todo.txt".

>>- Graphical consoles
>>
>>  This was one of the first fulfilled roadmap points. Without no doubt,
>>  it's implemented and working.
>>

>Interesting double negation. Mind if I take a stab at decrypting it? "With
>dubt, it's implemented...". :-)

Sorry, I just wasn't thinking cleanly when I wrote it. :-) It's normal
to use double negations in Czech language and I sometimes go mad and use
it in other languages too...

>I agree with your dubt. Just start a console window and click the close
>button. No reaction. Not even a kmode crash.

Yeah, there is this small bug, but the consoles ARE working.

Regards,
Filip