[ros-kernel] Shell32 changes

Ge van Geldorp gvg at reactos.com
Sun Aug 1 15:40:20 CEST 2004

> From: Jens Collin
>
> I made a small patch for shell32 in dialogs.c which I sent to
> the wine-devel list. I haven't received any response yet, but
> seeing this patch here in our CVS indicates that changes can
> be made in ROS only also? I thought all changes were to go
> into wine and then syncronized from time to time?
>
> I like this approach below better since it makes changes get
> into our tree faster, but in the long term I beleive that
> syncronization will be tougher with all differences... Can
> anyone shed some light on this for me?

shell32 is sort of special in this regard. Martin Fuchs implemented a
lot of stuff in "our" shell32 to get RosExplorer running. Not all of
those changes have been incorporated into Wine yet.

I sync most of the other Wine-derived DLLs (cabinet, comctl32, comdlg32,
mpr, ole32, oledlg, richedit, rpcrt4, shlwapi, unicode, winmm, midimap,
wavemap) after each Wine release. Haven't synced to the latest
(Wine-20040716) yet and will not get around to that for another week.

In general, I'd say it's ok to make changes to these DLLs in our tree,
as long as you also submit a patch to Wine. You will find that Alexandre
almost always makes some little change to your patch, so after your
patch has been committed to Wine it would be nice to check the new Wine
source against the ReactOS source.

Ge van Geldorp.