[ros-kernel] How to get started writing ReactOS drivers

Vizzini vizzini at plasmic.com
Mon Feb 9 01:49:43 CET 2004

On Sun, 2004-02-08 at 18:50, Vizzini wrote:
> I really didn't mean for this discussion to get so theoretical.  I'm
> really interested to know what Hartmut, Eric, Casper, David, and the
> rest of the folks who have contributed drivers currently do to keep code
> from paging out.  I will go look tonight and see if I can figure it out.

OK, I'll bite.  I glanced at a couple of drivers and don't see anything
explicit preventing them from being paged.  Unless there is some voodoo
inthe build system that keeps these things resident, I'd say we have a
nontrivial problem on our hands.

If this problem is indeed un-adressed at the moment, I'd say we need a
tool to set the sections up as not paged, discardable, etc.  At the
least, we need something that un-pages the whole driver.  If we have to
do runtime paging control with Mm apis until we get compiler/linker
support, that's not the end of the world.

 -Vizzini