[ros-kernel] Let's kill BOOT.BAT

Shadow Flare blakflare at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 27 16:13:40 CET 2004

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 11:17:50 +0100 Mark IJbema <mark at ijbema.xs4all.nl>
wrote:

>On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 11:02:20AM +0100, Ge van Geldorp wrote:
> > > From: theUser BL
> > > To: ros-general at reactos.com
> > >
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > Yesterday I wanted to try ReactOS on my computer. I downloaded the
> > > 0.2.0-binaries and started aboot:
> > >
> > > --------------------------------------
> > >
> > > Microsoft(R) Windows98
> > >    (C)Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1999.
> > >
> > > C:\>cd reactos
> > >
> > > C:\REACTOS>aboot
> >
> > Judging from the reports on mailing lists, forum and IRC the BOOT.BAT
> > method of booting ReactOS seems to cause problems for lots of people.
> > I'd like to put it out of its misery and kill BOOT.BAT for the 0.2.2
> > release, switching to FreeLdr exclusively.
> >
> > I know some people are using BOOT.BAT because they don't want to let
> > ReactOS setup mess with their boot sector, so we'll have to provide an
> > alternate solution for that. Are there any other reasons for using
> > BOOT.BAT (speak up now or loose BOOT.BAT forever....)?

I have a boot disk for ReactOS, but I still use boot.bat to load it if I'm
already in DOS.  Loadros.com has never caused any problems for me with
ReactOS.

> > The alternate solution if you don't want to mess with your bootsector is
> > to create a boot floppy. Vizzini is almost done with the floppy driver,
> > so it should be feasible to do that  (although we would probably need to
> > require a pre-low-level-formatted floppy for now).

It can already be done; you just have to do it yourself.  The floppy driver
does not need to work for the boot disk to work.

> > So, any comments? Of course, I'm especially interested in what Eric
> > thinks about this.
>
>If some people still use it i think we should keep it. Why not let it
>start with a lots of echo's with a major warning that use of boot.bat is
>unsupported and known to caus problems, and then a pause ('press any key
>to continue')?
>
>Mark

I think Mark's idea is a good one.  Just keep loadros, boot.bat, and
aboot.bat and just add in a warning in boot.bat and aboot.bat.  Maybe at the
end of the warning it could say something like "Press Ctrl+C to cancel
done rather than removing it.

-ShadowFlare