[ros-kernel] 0.2 Notes

Guido reactos at jacquido.demon.nl
Wed Jan 14 21:56:02 CET 2004

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 13:37:08 -0800 (PST)
Jason Filby <jasonfilby at yahoo.com> wrote:

> The other issue is that of win32api being required as a separate
> download. Perhaps merging of these headers should be allowed post 0.2
> freeze? Or would that be too risky?

IMHO we should not release the next version of ReactOS until there is a regular w32api version available from MinGW that meets our requirements, or otherwise release a version that works with the current version of the w32api.

A release should just work, straight out of the box. You can not expect ppl to go and patch things, especially if they use MinGW for other purposes too! The 0.2 release will probably generate high expectations. And since the will get mentioned on websites like osnews.com, enough ppl will want to try it out. Some of those will want to try to build ReactOS by themselves, but the necessary patch to the w32api will be too much for most of them. The net effect will be that those ppl (including potential developers) will lose interest and it will be very difficult to win those back. It will generate bad press besides.

Sorry for being so negative, but if we want ReactOS to become the next big thing, we should make _solid_ releases. If you do not want ReactOS to be big, then you do not need to release in the first place.

- Guido