[ros-kernel] serial mouse driver patch

Vizzini vizzini at plasmic.com
Mon Jan 19 22:12:04 CET 2004

I received the following e-mail from a guy named Logan_V8_TT who wishes
to remain anonymous due to spam, etc.

Anyone care to comment on this patch?  I don't have a suitable way to
test this atm.  Sorry for the 24k zip...

 -Vizzini

hi!,
i'm just a user of your(s) :) great ReactOS Kernel. I have downloaded
several versions of it before just to show it to my friends :) but never
got my serial mouse to work. So, because i'm now on vacations i decided
to GET IT WORKING! (i could have posted the bug to bugzilla, but what
fun would be that?) yesterday and today i tried to learn how to fix
that. I was lazy to download the source, so i patched (yep, patched the
driver binary :)) but it didn't worked. Next, i downloaded the sources
and began coding something to get it work (i'm learning C by the way :P,
i code in Pascal and x86 assembler :)). It worked!!!!, and i decided to
send you the sermouse.c and a compiled binary for test. I don't know if
this patch works only for me, or also for other people, but i discovered
that the mouse worked with the old driver by just moving the mouse in
the initialization!, but having to move the mouse everytime i boot up my
computer isn't good (i think). Too much talking but here is t
 he short _story_:
- old sermouse.sys didn't detect my mouse. Only if i move it in the
initialization.
(ReactOS running on real PC, Pentium 133 MHz, 48 mb RAM, 10 GB Maxtor
Harddrive, TGUI9440 Trident video card, PCI HSP WinModem, CS4232 sound
card)
(Mouse at: COM1 IRQ:4 IO: 3F8h)
- my patch changes the mouse detection code. it could(nt) work with
other computers. Also it could broke other features. I don't know
because i have only my computer to test.

it broken nothing here :D

my detection routine is based in a paper published by IBM documenting a
serial pointing device (TrackPoint?), the paper doesn't have any code,
so it's mine (the method not, for sure) :)

a final note, just keep up the good work! :),
regards,
Logan_V8_TT

PD: Don't publish my email please, i dont want spam :), and if you want
to credit me put only my nickname :). Too much debuggin' and testin',
now i'll go to sleep :P